Friday, December 9, 2011

Research


  This semester, I chose to do my research project on the path of classical mythology in art. I've always had a fascination with classical mythology and the art that is inspired by it. Classical mythology is one of the most common inspirations in art and has been for nearly 2,800 years. I think it is one of the subjects that has been most apparent since it was introduced in Ancient Greece.

  I had used the HSU data bases a few time before this semester, but now I feel like I could be racking up frequent flier points I use JSTOR so much! Between my 3 anthropology classes, JSTOR has seen a lot of me this semester. Between some really fabulous articles I found on said database, and using some books I had myself and the library was so kind to lend me, I was pretty golden on information materials. I thin the most difficult part of my research process was that after I was done with part one, I put it on the back burner for a few weeks. When I finally went back to it, I had to go over everything again, so I guess it wasn't too difficult per say, but more tedious (but that was my own fault, of course).

  I think the most surprising thing I discovered was the representation of classical mythology in Medieval Times. I wasn't sure what I would find, but it was interesting how the portrayal of classical mythological figures altered, like the example in my presentation of Hercules and how he went from classical to arabian to saint-like and then back to classical-- all within a span of a few hundred years.

  If I was to continue my research on classical mythology, I would probably focus on its influence in one era, like just in Medieval Times or the Twentieth century. I think it would be really interesting to focus deeply on one time period and go into further detail. A question that may be interesting to continue with would be, "What influence did the rise of Christianity have on how classical mythology was interpreted in Medieval Times?" Maybe one day I will have the opportunity to answer this question or other relating to classical mythology.

-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment