Friday, September 16, 2011

Aesthetic Experience

For this week's post, I'm going to keep following this food theme I've got going...


   A few years ago, during my senior year of high school, my dad and I drove up from Southern California to come see Humboldt State. On the long drive back down, we stopped at a culinary school I was also looking into in Napa Valley, The Culinary Institute of America. I had already been to a few culinary schools, so I figured this would be like the rest, but I was wrong. Driving through some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen, I knew this school would separate itself from the rest. The school itself is a gorgeous, castle-esque building, and walking inside basically took my breath away. An amazing foyer welcomed us as we took our first step inside with huge wine barrels lining the walls. This was probably on of the most aesthetically pleasing places I ever been. We were given a very nice tour, which ended in the sole room on the top floor, a giant, beautiful kitchen. There must have been at least 40 different stations inside this massive kitchen, one side dedicated to culinary, and the other to pastry. There were a few students in there practicing techniques and recipes, and at that instant I knew I was in love with the school. As I stated before, I had already seen some schools, but this one defiantly stood out from the rest.


  However, my experience was far from over. My dad had made us lunch reservations in the school's restaurant, and if I had not already been so entranced, this would have done me in. We sat down at our table, and my senses exploded! From our seats, we could see the kitchen, right in the middle of the restaurant (it was a culinary school after all!), and the smells escaping form the kitchen were beyond incredible. My 3 course lunch was a delicious tomato bisque, fresh linguini with kale, and bread pudding to finish it off. This was single handedly the best meal I have ever had. Everything was so fresh and excellent tasting that I almost couldn't contain myself. I think Ellen Dissanayake said it best with "to experience something that is outside... the ordinary... we can call the extraordinary" (Dissanayake, 134)


  Unfortunately, The Culinary Institute of America doesn't offer the 9-month diploma program I wanted to take anymore, so my aspirations of going there won't happen, but I'm still searching for the culinary school (Le Cordon Bleu, London to be exact) where I can be a part of creating an aesthetic experience for a another 17 year old girl with dreams of becoming a pastry chef.

-Holly


Sources:

http://www.ciachef.edu/california/

http://www.specialtyfoodamerica.com/IMAGES/GREYSTONE%20KITCHENS%20WITH%20CIA%20LOGO.jpg

http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/DSC_7224.jpg

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I actually think that eating has to be a great example of aesthetic experience because of its communal nature. Even going as far back as Chapter 3 in What is Art?, Ellen D says that art serves the purpose of strengthening social bonds (71). She later explains art as evolutionarily advantageous because of the feelings of union it gives people. She talks in depth about how humans evolved to cooperate socially. Some anthropologists believe that we evolved this way because of the use of fire for cooking. Cooking our food brought groups of ancient people together. It provided safety and shelter, and the promise of a good hearty meal. Maybe this was even the beginning of aesthetic experience which can be traced all the way to your linguini with kale! By the way, I LOVE bread pudding. =)

    ReplyDelete